Monday, July 8, 2013

What day is it?

I'm losing track of time. Days just blend together and each one feels like it's three days long. I never thought I'd have a period of time when the gospel was virtually all I was about. We don't watch television. We don't play the radio. We read a lot. I spend some time every day on a temple apron I'm making. We shop for groceries a few times a week and do a load of wash also about twice a week. And then there is the time on the road when we're going to and from the church and mostly to and from appointments with the elders and hunts for lost sheep. It's restorative work. That is to say that we not only do the restoration, but we ourselves are restored. And yet it's so different from anything I've ever known.

One thing I've noticed is that when you're wearing a missionary name badge, people tend to give you a lot of space on the sidewalks. (I hope that made you laugh, because that's what I meant it to do.)

We met a woman today who told us she knew "all about" the Mormon Church (that's what most people say) and that she'd also studied the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Catholic Church, but that in the end she had decided to become what she called a "straight Christian". I have no idea what that means. She was working with a group in the Methodist Church, but said that she didn't belong to the Methodist Church - she was just helping them out. She's from Wisconsin and apparently just goes around the world doing her "straight Christian" work. It was actually a bizarre exchange we had with her and we came away from it just feeling sorry for her.

I've got a link to add to this blog and I hope you can pull it up. Here's the background: Elder Walker the Younger (a.k.a. Elder Shaun Walker) goes to local newspapers and offers them interviews. He did it twice when he was in Scotland and he's done it twice here in Sligo. This time, we got our picture in the paper, too. So here's the link: http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/on-a-mission-to-spread-the-word-29388462.html.

Tell us what you think!

Sister Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment